[Cialug] Mediacom and Qwest IPs

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue Dec 9 15:33:24 CST 2008

It's never going to be perfect, we know.  There are mitigating factors
that I cannot discuss on a public list.  We're really just going for
something that provides real security with a minimal interruption to
operations.  It's a difficult balance, but it should be possible if we
accept a somewhat fuzzy definition of "done".

Luckily, wireless is not a consideration for this one.  (whew!)

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Jeffrey Ollie" <jeff at ocjtech.us> 12/09/08 3:24 PM >>>
On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Josh More
<morej at alliancetechnologies.net> wrote:
> Does anyone on this list happen to have a handy reference for the
> Internet IP addresses that Mediacom and Qwest assign to consumers in
> Iowa?  I need to secure a client to the best extent feasible.  They're
> Iowa-only and we need to block out specifically people from other
> countries (I know, I know).
>
> I'm thinking it would be easier to do allow the majority of local ISPs
> and deny everything else, rather than trying to build a blacklist from
> ARIN.

I hope you're charging this client an nice hourly rate becuase this is
going to be a difficult, if not impossible task.  (Personally I'd say
it's pointless, but it's their money I guess).

Don't forget about "ISPs" like the ICN, U of I, and Iowa State.

And what about wireless providers like Verizon, US Cellular, etc.?

Might be worth looking into the various geolocation databases out there.

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from
Avalon"