[Cialug] Free Codeweavers - did it work?

jrnosee at gmail.com jrnosee at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 16:30:20 CST 2008

Well... I finally had time to install, use my code, and test.  Got the
crossover games for linux.  EPIC FAIL.  I installed Steam + Counter Strike:
Source.  Figuring that since steam and CSS supposidly work in WINE, this
should be pretty flawless.  WRONG.  Setup of crossover was a pain enough
(something about Ubuntu 8.10 and rights when registering), steam was easy
luckilly, but then running the game was a huge pain.  If you have compiz
setup (aka ubuntu advanced effects) it needs to be disabled every time I
*TRY* to play.  Once running, it's best to get the command switches for the
game to run it windoed @ low resolution.  It's the only way to play it with
a decent frame-rate and it still crashes frequently.  Sadly, I was hoping
that I would finally find my linux gaming solution so I could dump Windows
forever...not gonna happen now.  When my new power supply comes in for my
GOOD computer (not that this one couldn't have run CSS quite well in XP)
I'll be leaving Vista on board and removing that empty partition I was
saving to test linux on my primary machine.  Well, at least I can still use
linux to host VM, websites, embedded development, and as a quick load OS for
email and web on my laptop!