[Cialug] Mediacom and Qwest IPs

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue Dec 9 16:26:04 CST 2008

That's not possible with the technology being used, and we're sadly
stuck with this technology until mid 2009.

Good idea though.  It's weak on proxies, but my current solution is
pretty weak as well, so they're comparable.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> <jrnosee at gmail.com> 12/09/08 4:14 PM >>>
What about using geolocation to check IPs?

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Josh More
<morej at alliancetechnologies.net>wrote:

> It's never going to be perfect, we know.  There are mitigating factors
> that I cannot discuss on a public list.  We're really just going for
> something that provides real security with a minimal interruption to
> operations.  It's a difficult balance, but it should be possible if we
> accept a somewhat fuzzy definition of "done".
>
> Luckily, wireless is not a consideration for this one.  (whew!)
>

> -Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
>  morej at alliancetechnologies.net
>  515-245-7701

> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Josh More
> <morej at alliancetechnologies.net> wrote:
> > Does anyone on this list happen to have a handy reference for the
> > Internet IP addresses that Mediacom and Qwest assign to consumers in
> > Iowa?  I need to secure a client to the best extent feasible.
They're
> > Iowa-only and we need to block out specifically people from other
> > countries (I know, I know).
> >
> > I'm thinking it would be easier to do allow the majority of local
ISPs