[Cialug] Perl performance on RedHat

Ken MacLeod ken at bitsko.slc.ut.us
Tue Aug 26 16:05:20 CDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Colin Burnett <cmlburnett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Drats.  I recently had to programmatically convert full HTML with full
> CSS support into PDFs and hoped you found a better solution than I
> did.  I dare not speak my solution on the list because it was
> horrifying!

I used AsciiDoc about a year ago to create a DocBook XML->PDF solution
and found it to be a little too primitive.  I later wrote a script to
read the AsciiDoc text files and convert them to LaTeX to use
pdflatex.  LaTeX has its learning curve but the result was perfect.

For a long time I've known that keeping the source document in the
simplest possible text format and using scripts to generate HTML, XML,
LaTeX, troff, or whatever is usually the best bet for reusable docs.
Wiki books are pretty much the same thing.

  -- Ken