[Cialug] Perl performance on RedHat

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Aug 26 13:23:37 CDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Colin Burnett <cmlburnett at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Dave J. Hala Jr. <dave at 58ghz.net> wrote:
>> I'm using an older version of htmldoc.  Its very,very basic, but its
>> smoking fast.
>
> Drats.  I recently had to programmatically convert full HTML with full
> CSS support into PDFs and hoped you found a better solution than I
> did.  I dare not speak my solution on the list because it was
> horrifying!

Years ago I scripted a browser to visit web pages and print them to a
dummy printer that created PS files which were then converted to PDF.
It worked great. Alas the code is gone but you wouldn't want it
anyway... I think I used VBS or VBA and IE.

I've not seen a solution that had full CSS support that worked a
different way. More recently I played with a mono application that
could script a Mozilla browser widget to create full-page screen shots
(png). I think the keyword to search for is mozembed if you're
interested. It was not too recently... probably in the days of mono
1.1. The neat thing about this one was that you didn't actually see
the program running. There was no gui (though X may be needed).

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode