[Cialug] BarCamp Des Moines 2008 is finally just a few days away! (This Saturday AM!)

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Thu Aug 21 09:28:36 CDT 2008

This is a reminder that BarCamp is this coming Saturday.
---

Based on the success of last year's BarCamp Des Moines, we have
enough sponsors to make this entire un-conference free to those who
attend.
In addition to the usual crazy BarCamp swag, this year we are even
providing dinner at no cost!

We've put our many social media channels to the test this year and are
planning on
a rather large turn out of all types of geeks here in Iowa and even from
surrounding states.
At BarCamp, sitting down with a podcaster, social media entrepreneur,
systems
administrator, Scrum PM, cloud computing guru, QA expert, blogger,
business analyst,
SEO expert, hacker (and people who are some or all of the above) at one
table is not
out of the norm!

## Where to go
Adventureland Inn
3200 Adventureland Drive
Altoona, IA 50009
(515) 265-7321

## Schedule:
8:30  am - Doors open - Registration, Session Agenda, Networking and
Breakfast
9:30  am - Opening, Introductions, Explaination of BarCamp
10:00 am - Sessions Begin
Noon     - Lunch Buffet
2:00  pm - Revisit Session Agenda
2:30  pm - Snack Break
3:00  pm - Sessions Resume
5:00  pm - Dinner Provided

## The local organizations who made this event free for us!  Thank you!!
~ Iowa Department of Economic
Development	http://www.iowalifechanging.com/	$2k
~ Source Allies, Inc.	http://www.sourceallies.com	$300
~ Wells Fargo	http://www.wellsfargo.com	$300
~ Big Creek Software	http://www.bigcreek.com/	$300
~ Impromptu Studio	http://impromptustudio.com	$300
~ Internet Solver	http://www.internetsolver.com	$300
~ DMACC	http://www.dmacc.edu	$300
~ Alliance Technologies	http://www.alliancetechnologies.net	$300
~ Iowa Student Loan	http://www.studentloan.org	$300
~ Paragon IT Professionals	http://www.paragonitpros.com	$300
~ Robert Half
Technologies	http://www.roberthalftechnology.com/	$300
~ Lullabot	http://www.lullabot.com	$150

## Stuff you'll pick up at the registration table:
Your Official BarCamp Des Moines badges and lanyards, your choice of
Swag
http://picasaweb.google.com/mattcvincent/BarCampDesMoinesSwag
and other printed materials.

## What's available during the un-conference:
Wireless Internet!
There will be 3-4 screens set up with 3 tables grouped around each
screen
Each screen will have an Audio/Visual cart.
Each table grouping will have a extention cord and power strip in case
you
need plug-ins for laptops. We have a cordless lapel microphone
addressing the whole group.
Whiteboards, notecards, giant 3M post-its, paper/pens

## Session Topics
Well, you determine which topics will fly - but from past BarCamps
and/or what people
have already expressed interest in talking about, you can expect
potential topics to cover:
~ Professional podcasting
~ Multi-tasking with Eclipse and Mylyn
~ Subversion/Trac for Dummies
~ Comparison of GTD tools
~ Estimation? We don't need no stinking estimation.
~ Nagios, radius & cacti
~ Application level data-locking techniques
~ Intro to Ext JS
~ Commercial applications of Social Media and Open Source Software
~ Cloud Computing
~ Drupal Demos
~ Ruby Demos
~ Grails Demos
~ Start-up web app demos and more!

## Pictures from BarCamp Des Moines 2007
~ http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=barcamp+desmoines
~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/sourceallies/sets/72157602127276494/
~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/14146082@N04/

## Where to get more info