[Cialug] CentOS Yum error

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Mon Aug 18 12:48:28 CDT 2008

Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
> On Tuesday August 12 2008 14:57, David Champion wrote:
>
>> That's one of the things I really like about Mandriva... between the
>> main, contrib, and plf sources, I can get most all of the packages I
>> need.
>>

> I've not used Mandriva. (Was that formerly Mandrake? [...]
Yes. They renamed it after a merger and lawsuit issue over the name a
few years ago. They've merged with / absorbed Connectiva, Lycoris, and
Turbolinux over the years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandriva

> I think at the time i switched away from Red Hat that package management
> on RPM systems was either still a bit primitive, or else i'd simply not
> learned the more advanced utilities. I remember lots of "dependency
> hell" type problems on Red Hat that i've not experienced on Debian. I
> think the problems i had are not as common on more modern RPM-based
> systems though (including Red Hat itself). [...]

Yeah, RH and others have resolved most of the "dependency hell" issues
with their rpm wrappers - yum, urpmi etc...

I have run across issues where someone fat-fingered a package name in
the dependency list, which is really annoying. Usually something like
they included the version # in the package name field, like
"package_xyz1" when it should just be "package_xyz". You'd think there
was an automated way to verify the package names or something...

-dc