[Cialug] CentOS Yum error

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Aug 12 14:46:53 CDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Zachary Kotlarek <zach at kotlarek.com> wrote:
>> This is why you should always work within the paradigm of the system
>> you're on.  If you hack around it, you find out pretty quickly that
>> there are reasons why things are set up the way they are.
>
> I know package managers make it easy to install things, particularly if you
> don't have a full toolchain on all your systems. And they're a great way to
> un-install things. But I'm sticking with my makefiles.

Almost all of my non hardware/network related downtime can be related
to this type of stuff.

It will pay off in spades if you bite the bullet and get comfortable
with your package manager's build capability (i.e. rpmbuild) for
creating the packages you want and need. Sometimes its a pain because
you have to build 5 package dependencies for the one you want, but in
the long run that time is an investment and you'll get it back with
interest when problems happen. And even if you don't, it's like a
backup - hopefully you don't need it, but if you do, you'll be glad
you spent the time.

Plus, once you start installing via `make install` you can no longer
trust the vendor's security updates not to break your system. That
leaves you vulnerable.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode