[Cialug] SDHC support

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Aug 7 10:34:42 CDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Tim Champion <timchampion at gmail.com> wrote:
> I picked up a high speed (22mb/s) 8GB SDHC card from amazon for $60
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XZCIX4
> Its $68 now. :(  Comes with a USB card reader, and a nice zipper pouch.

I picked up the 15mb/s 8g at bestbuy for $50. I thought mine was
screaming fast, I didn't realize they could go faster. Honestly, it
feels like this card is faster than the hard drive, but maybe that's
because its relatively empty.

> I'm still trying to figure out how to boot Ubuntu from it on my internal
> card reader on my Dell D420.  The BIOS doesn't see it, so from what I've
> gathered so far, I have to load up a linux kernel from the hard drive first,
> and then transfer to the SD card.  I can get it to boot using the included
> USB card reader, but I think booting from the card slot is beyond my skilz.

I had the same prob. :-( I even download a bios update for my laptop
to see if that helped. It said something about "now enable booting
from 4G flash drives" but I don't think its even trying the sd card.
I'm ok with putting /boot and /home on the hdd (except maybe mapping
firefox cache dir and etc to the flash drive) but the next thing I
want to figure out is at what point in the boot process the sd card
gets recognized (to ensure things will be ok if the root partition is
on it).

Also I'm curious to know if grub can recognize the sd card - my
searching has only shown results for people who want to install grub
onto a flash drive. I ran out of time last night before figuring it
out.

Is there a way to get a list of recognized drives from grub?

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode