[Cialug] Power Down

Thomas Kula kula at tproa.net
Fri Apr 25 11:04:41 CDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:19:15AM -0500, David Champion wrote:

> Yes, I have a personal server co-located at Internetsolver.com. I host a
> number of sites for friends and a couple of clubs / organizations, so it
> made sense for me.
>
> Depending on what you're doing, a virtual server might be a better
> choice. Maybe Theron still has some space left on his Xen server...

I do virtual server stuff both ways --- I have a box in colocation that
is beefy enough that I've replaced a handful of crufty boxes with one
real box, all operating as Xen domains (basically the services are ran
under virtualization to keep logical separation of stuff).

I also use a couple of providers for one-off virtual hosts, to hold
my dns and external MXen --- the idea being that there's enough stuff
on hardware someone else has to care about for mail to at least
get queued up.

I'm very happy with this setup. My home machine is now simply a
experemental machine, with a few things local that I want to be
local to my apartment, etc. When I moved to Michigan, and when I
move to a new apartment next month, my services will just keep
humming.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula at tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/
Mathom House at Ypsi-Edge, The People's Republic of Ames