[Cialug] Power Down

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Fri Apr 25 10:16:31 CDT 2008

On Apr 25, 2008, at 9:49 AM, Matthew Nuzum wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Jeff Chapin <chapinjeff at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I have a 1u server colocated in Miami with a company called
> colopronto. They cost $25/mo for 1u. You send them your server and
> they rack it and provide power/bandwidth and rdns. Their sister
> company, severpronto, will give you a dedicated server for $30/mo. At
> these rates, why have a virtual server? I have my 1u split into three
> and things are peachy... that's < $8.50 /mo /virtual server.

Server4You leases dedicated machines for $29/month. It's old hardware,
but it would be fine for the kind of services you're talking about,
and it's a nice alternative to virtual systems if you ever run low-
load but latency-sensitive applications like VoIP:
http://www.server4you.com/us/economy/index.php

I'm not sure I'd use them for critical infrastructure, but for $29/
month it's hard to be too critical of small issues like their
"new" (read: dead-slow, half-broken) admin interface. Plus they're one
of the few leased-hardware hosts that will let you install your own
OS: they have a "boot into Debian rescue mode" option you can activate
(presumably it uses some form of netboot), from which you can download
and install anything that can be launched from Debian.

	Zach