[Cialug] Power Down

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Apr 25 09:49:57 CDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Jeff Chapin <chapinjeff at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm in the same boat -- In Cedar Falls/Waterloo, the prices I was quoted
>  for local rackspace for a 1U server with minimal bandwidth usage ranged
>  from $70 a month to $350 a month, which for my needs would be massive
>  overkill -- I want a simple server I administer and can install the
>  applications I want on, and not have to worry about losing access due to
>  policy changes at my ISP (or even moving and getting a different ISP)
>  and with a static IP (so I can stop using afraid.com).

I have a 1u server colocated in Miami with a company called
colopronto. They cost $25/mo for 1u. You send them your server and
they rack it and provide power/bandwidth and rdns. Their sister
company, severpronto, will give you a dedicated server for $30/mo. At
these rates, why have a virtual server? I have my 1u split into three
and things are peachy... that's < $8.50 /mo /virtual server.

They are ultra-bare-bones on support. So you'd want to be comfortable
managing your own stuff remotely. You submit a trouble ticket with a
priority. For high priority tickets I always get a response in 30m,
but there's no phone support. Anything other than rebooting or a
problem on their end will likely cost you money (but though they
threaten this on the support site they've never charged me).

For good support you should contact one of the people on this list who
provide hosting services because good support is very valuable. Also,
some people are just more comfortable with a company that hosts the
server within driving distance.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode