[Cialug] Power Down

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Fri Apr 25 09:01:05 CDT 2008

On Thursday 24 April 2008 16:18, David Champion wrote:
>I do run it on a couple of PC's at home, and on my
>server - my ISP is paying for the power on that. :)

You have a co-located server? That reminds me... what do people
recommend for things like that? I have a stack of servers at home, but
i've been thinking of consolidating all the remote services (DNS, mail,
web) onto 1 box and then either co-locating the physical box somewhere
or renting a virtual machine and migrating the services to that. Any
suggestions?

Probably a virtual machine would be cheaper for my needs since my sites
get very little traffic. And i certainly don't need to CPU power of a
dedicated machine; a year or two ago i migrated each of my servers to
machines with VIA CPUs running between 500 and 800 MHz. They are dog
slow for desktop stuff, but for simple services they are *perfect*
because they are sufficiently fast and they don't need big fans for
cooling. 500 MHz + passive heat sink + flash-based drive = silent
server. I suppose they'd seem a bit chunky serving dynamic web sites,
but most of what little content i have is (*very*) static.

I've been toying with the idea of moving my remote servers out of my
apartment for some time, but i have a roommate moving out in a few
months and so i might end up moving myself to a smaller apartment... if
i migrated my remote services to some facility i'd not have the few
days of downtime i'd otherwise expect during the moving period. And
wouldn't have to worry about finding a place to set up the server rack.