[Cialug] Power Down

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Apr 24 17:20:24 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>  The beef of the article is to shill for the APC Power-Saving
>  SurgeArrest surge protector.  It's a nifty idea: the you plug your
>  computer into a "master" plug-in, and then your printer and monitor
>  and speakers and all those other gadgets into slave outlets.  When
>  whatever is plugged into the master outlet stops drawing power the
>  strip cuts power to the slave outlets.  So, when you turn your
>  computer off all your other stuff gets turned off too.

I wonder why they don't have a usb plug on them so that when your
computer hibernates or goes to sleep (and presumably powers down the
usb port) it detects it and powers down your devices.

I agree this is a serious problem. It seems like it shouldn't be too
hard to make the average power brick smart enough to limit its power
usage to say a couple mA when the device attached to it stops drawing
power or is disconnected.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode