[Cialug] Dying commputer question

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 19:12:13 CDT 2008

Be sure to send some feedback to the creator of SpinRite, Steve
Gibson.  He often reads these on his podcast, Security Now.  Give
credit where credit is due -- all I did was point you in that
direction, Steve did all the hard work ;)

And *I* should thank *you*.  I've been using the wrong tool for hard
disk recovery all this time.  I'm going to switch from using dd to
using ddrescue.  I checked out the project page
(http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html), and discovered
that this is the right tool for that job.  It can even merge together
multiple identical sources (for instance, if you had two identical
CD's and both were damaged) to make a good copy.

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night

My GNUPG public key is available at http://www.kristau.net/public_key.asc