[Cialug] Dying commputer question

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 12:13:20 CDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 12:07 PM, kristau <kristau at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm guessing from context that this vital data did not have a backup?
> If so, here's how I would proceed in this situation (it is pretty much
> the same plan as you've proposed):

That's what I ended up doing.  I used ddrescue to create a copy of the
original (bad) partition, then used SpinRite, then ddrescue for the
recovered partition.  SpinRite worked wonderfully!  Thanks a million
Hard Disk Recovery Man!  Seriously, thanks.

As for ddrescue, I *am* familiar with dd, but I'd read about ddrescue,
and it's supposed to work faster than dd when you have a bad disk.  It
did move fairly quickly, too.  One anecdote I found said 10 days for a
60G copy.  It took me about 20 minutes for a 30G copy.  Maybe that
person had more errors.

So, all is well.  Well... backup is pending.  All is well for now.

-todd