[Cialug] Dying commputer question

murraymckee at wellsfargo.com murraymckee at wellsfargo.com
Sun Apr 6 15:36:25 CDT 2008

Something bad has happened to my home computer.  OK, it's still windows
XP, sorry about that.

I'm assuming that it has a virus or other malware of some sort.  It
keeps randomly shutting down saying something about a software bug.  My
power supply died just after Christmas, and that fried my mother board.
The troubles started after I got the computer back.  At first it would
shut down after a few days of running.  Then it would shut down after a
few hours of running.

Yesterday I had to reinstall office due to a corrupted file.  Last night
my anti virus software wouldn't load due to a missing DLL.  I can't dial
into the ISP.  I can't run MS Word.  Even if I do absolutely nothing but
stare at the screen there are times when it won't stay up for 3 minutes.
When it won't stay up a few minutes and you can't start any application
software, it's time to do something.

So, here's my plan to 'recover' as best I can.  I'm not at a point where
I can devote a lot of time to the project, and I don't know enough about
Linux to feel comfortable making the jump right now, but this is what
I'm thinking.

Get a second disk drive, at least big enough to hold all the data on the
C: drive.  I'm leaning toward an internal drive, but would consider a
USB drive.  C: is a 200G drive, sometime since Christmas I noticed that
there were about 150G of space used and 50G available.

Boot the computer from a Linux / Ubuntu Live CD.  That ought to be
pretty much immune to catching a virus.  I have a live CD I tried to
load on an older computer at Christmas time, but 128M of memory doesn't
seem to be enough to install it.

Copy all the data from C: to D:.  I'm not sure if I should try and copy
the whole drive or only the 'useful data' parts.  I'm leaning toward the
whole thing to make sure I don't miss something.

Mark the new drive as not a boot drive.  Is it possible to mark a hard
drive as read only?

Nuke the C: drive by reformatting it to get rid of any problems.

Reinstall XP and applications.  I'm not planning on copying any software
from D; to C:.  If I don't have a disk to load I'll download it from the
internet.  Copy any relevant data from D: back to C:.

This time I am going to figure out how to do the multiple accounts thing
so I can have an admin account to do the installs and user accounts for
general day to day use that can't install anything.

After a few months, once I'm sure I have all my data of the new drive,
I'm thinking about reformatting the new drive and installing Linux
there, making a dual boot system.

OK, have I missed anything, other than a few hours of time and the cost
of a new drive?

Thanks,

Murray McKee
Operating Systems Engineer
WFFIS - Wells Fargo Financial Information Systems
800 Walnut Street
MAC F4030-037
Des Moines, IA 50309-3605
WORK (515)557-6127 Cell (515) 890-9660  FAX (515) 557-6046
MurrayMcKee at WellsFargo.com
"This message may contain confidential and / or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on
this message or any information herein.  If you have received this
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation."