[Cialug] Buying a new PC

Bill Davis bill.davis at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 16:23:34 CDT 2007

Yep, fair reasons.   Pick the hardware that works best for you.    I
don't do my own computer hardware builds and have no desire to....but
if you do or have a specific hardware requirement of some sort, then
Macs are not for you.  (Though I did replace the RAM, hard disk -
twice, and even added a processor upgrade to my PowerBook G3 laptop
about 6 or 7 years back...those laptops were darn near as nice as
desktops  because they had so many expansion bays and slots and such,
and you could get to the whole logic board and drives by simply
flipping a couple of latches and folding the keyboard back.  I miss
the G3 PowerBooks, but the world has gone for "thin" instead of
"expandable" laptops, alas.

Mostly, though, I just pay a few hundred bucks for the 3 year service
contract (instead of the 1 year warranty) and say "here, fix it" if
it breaks.   Last time I had to do that was about 10 years and two
computers ago, though.  Pretty solid stuff from Apple.   I dropped my
previous PowerBook G4 laptop from about waist hight and it actually
TORE and dented the metal on the corner of the titanium case, but the
huge glass screen with the skinny metal bezel DIDN'T break, nor did
anything else except the case corner.  I used it with no problems for
almost a year before replacing it when the Intel Mac Book Core 2 Duos
came out. Solid.

I know what you mean about the kids working in the store.  True of
most any retail store these days, I guess computer stores aren't
immune either.  I was using Macs before many of 'em were born, and
computers in general even longer.  I started programming 'em about
the same year Apple itself was born, in fact, 1976.  We had one of
the original Apple // units in high school.  No hard disk even.   Of
course, I WORKED in a computer store for several years when I was a
"punk kid" from 1980-84 when I was in college, so I probably
shouldn't be too hard on 'em. ;-)

By the way, there *IS* another Apple store in town, one without punk
kids.  Haddock Computers on 73rd Street in Windsor Heights (the big
old A-Frame building next to the I-235 freeway).

Bill Davis
5214 Meredith Drive
Des Moines, IA
50310-2956 USA