[Cialug] What should I be asking?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Sep 26 10:41:22 CDT 2007

On 9/26/07, Matt Millard <gocyclones at eml.cc> wrote:
> I've got a meeting this afternoon to discuss adding RHEL to our fairly
> large VMWare environment that is currently all Windows VM's.  I've
> twittled the knobs on Xen running on RHEL5, but not more than doing a
> single install.  I'm just curious what are some things that I should be
> on the look out for in the VMWare environment that has been built around
> only installing Windows servers?  Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.

The only feature I've not been able to use on Linux is the copying
files into a vm. In Workstation (and the last version I owned was 3.5
I think), you could copy files between VMs by dragging and dropping
them. This only worked in Windows though.

Other than that I've not had any problems with Linux & VMWare where
Linux was either the guest or the host. I now use the free vmware
server.

If you're using something uncommon it could be tricky to get the
vmware tools to install in the Linux guest, but RHEL5 would not fall
into that category.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode