[Cialug] What should I be asking?

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Wed Sep 26 10:33:37 CDT 2007

I'm not completely sure if I understand what you mean.  I see two
options.

1) Installing RHEL on VMWare

I seriously doubt that you'll have problems with this.  VMWare is built
to be flexible like this and should support any business-focused OS with
a minimum of issues.  RHEL and SLES should work fine out of the box.
Heck, I was able to get SCO OpenServer to virtualize without too much
effort.

2) Building a Xen deployment based on RHEL.

This is a different beast, and I will let Theron pipe in here.  I will
say that if you Xen instead of VMWare, you will need the latest Intel or
AMD chips that support virtualization extensions if you want to do
Windows too.  Also, I've heard that the Novell Virtualization tools are
better than those that ship with RHEL.  I don't have the personal
experience to back that up though.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Matt Millard" <gocyclones at eml.cc> 09/26/07 10:19 AM >>>
I've got a meeting this afternoon to discuss adding RHEL to our fairly
large VMWare environment that is currently all Windows VM's.  I've
twittled the knobs on Xen running on RHEL5, but not more than doing a
single install.  I'm just curious what are some things that I should
be
on the look out for in the VMWare environment that has been built
around
only installing Windows servers?  Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

So glad the VUG is starting up as I'll be getting in deeper sooner
than
later!

Matt
---