[Cialug] What is a good distro for an older laptop

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 12:11:48 CDT 2007

On 9/19/07, John Lengeling <John.Lengeling at radisys.com> wrote:
> I have an older laptop with 128M RAM and a P3/300mhz CPU.   Which
> distribution would be good for a simple user desktop?  Mainly interested
> in web browsing and text editing.

I think it comes down to how much you want to fuss with it during the
installation.  Something like Xubuntu should be pretty easy to set up
and run OK.  If you go with some of the others, you may need to choose
a "minimal install" option, if available, then add it the things you
will be missing (such as Xorg) after the install completes.

If you really want to fuss around and only install the bare minimum,
I'd say go with Debian.  Do the base system install and then start
adding what you need.  If you really don't want to fuss around, try
Xubuntu, Damn Small, or another "light" distro.

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night

My GNUPG public key is available at http://www.kristau.net/public_key.asc