[Cialug] Opensource Network Monitors

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Fri Sep 21 08:02:51 CDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 07:15 -0500, Chris K. wrote:
> Zabbix is the one I am leaning heavily towards right now.  It has all
> the "pretty pictures" that I will need to get management buy in.
> I think our implementation would be mostly for internal dev servers and
> the like, but it's a start.

If you take the time to set up the templates and you have a number of
similar systems it can be very powerful.  One nice thing about Zabbix
too is that you can specify different polling rates for each variable.
For example, I have the external interface of my firewall being polled
for input/output statistics every 5 seconds, but other variables only
get polled every five minutes to an hour.