[Cialug] Opensource Network Monitors

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Sep 20 21:53:50 CDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 21:27 +0000, Nathan C. Smith wrote:

> 	I've been looking at Zabbix.  The others just seem too limiting to
> smaller environments (being SNMP/Polling based).  Zabbix appears to be
> almost to the level of competeing with the likes of OpenView and Tivoli, but
> still maintaining the ease of use if all you want is SNMP polling.
> Hopefully, I'll get the chance to review it in more detail in the coming
> months.

I like Zabbix - I've been using it for some time now.  One issue with
Zabbix is that it can be time consuming to set it up initially.  The new
version (1.4) is much better in that regard but it can still take a
while to set up all your templates.  There's some auto-discovery stuff
in the new version but I haven't played with it yet.

Jeff