[Cialug] Slightly OT: Server Room Temperature

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Mon Sep 17 10:10:14 CDT 2007

> When the company came out for PM on the UPS last month, they
> told me that it is possible to keep a data center TOO cold.
> The UPS doesn't want to see temps below 60 degrees, or it
> gets harder on the batteries.

My HVAC people told me you can keep a room too cold as well.
Apparently it is possible to freeze your condenser coils (or something like
that) and cause the system to break.
They said they saw this sometimes in rooms set to 50 Degrees or colder.  I'm
guessing you have to have a unit that
Can actually hit those lows - easily handling the load produced by the
machines.

-Nate