[Cialug] Slightly OT: Server Room Temperature

Major Stubble major.stubble at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 13:23:07 CDT 2007

Interesting that this topic should come up.  IEEE just had a paper
published on predicting HDD failure that incorporated environmental
factors.  I haven't logged in yet to read the article, so I don't
know what the findings are.

My most common failure with high-temperature data centers (if UNI's
machine room can even be considered a 'data center') has been hard
disk drives.  So, an article like this may prove useful as we argue
about future expansion.

-Nick

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?
tp=&arnumber=4292318&isnumber=4292269

Hard Disk Drive Reliability Modeling and Failure Prediction
Strom, B. D.; Lee, S.; Tyndall, G. W.; Khurshudov, A.
Magnetics, IEEE Transactions on
Volume 43, Issue 9, Sept. 2007 Page(s):3676 - 3684

Abstract
A reliability model for the hard disk drive (HDD) is developed,
focusing on head–disk separation as the primary independent variable.
The model is structured to incorporate the theoretical effects of
environmental factors, plus empirical dependence on the product
operating mode. An experimental method based on magnetic spacing loss
theory is used to characterize the head–media separation as a
function of temperature, altitude, humidity, and HDD operating mode.
A statistical model based on these empirical data is developed to
predict HDD reliability for various operating conditions. The
predictions of the model are verified experimentally through
comparison with HDD product reliability test data.