[Cialug] Slightly OT: Server Room Temperature

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Fri Sep 14 12:57:30 CDT 2007

Jonathan C. Bailey wrote:
> I've been considering a shell script to check the environmental monitor in the room and shutdown as needed. Least critical first of course..

I use weatherduck to monitor temperature, humidity, airflow and light
levels (eg., when someone comes into the server room).  They are
outstanding monitoring units that sit on the back of a 1U/2U case
mounted to the serial port.  Sitting on the back, I get a reading of the
hot isle temperature.  http://www.itwatchdogs.com/

I'd also recommend those using server boards that are equipped to
monitor core temperature to use mbmon.  mbmon works exceptionally well
with my dual-socket, dual-core Opteron boards from Tyan.  There is a
huge difference between ambient temperature and core temperature
(understatement).

-PG