[Cialug] Re: Slightly OT: AMD-V enabled laptops

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Oct 31 21:33:02 CDT 2007

On 10/31/07, Tim Wilson <tim_linux at wilson-home.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info.  I'd heard bad things about Toshiba laptops.  I've had
> pretty good luck with HP, and that's what I'm probably going to go with.
> But, it's good to have confirmation that the Turion processors do support
> hardware virtualization.

The gang at CompUSA and to a lesser extent Best Buy were all amicable
to me booting off of live cd to check if the hardware worked with
Linux. Best results found visiting during the afternoon hours during
the week when the store wasn't too busy.

Visiting these places with a recent live cd will help you identify VT
enabled laptops AND help you to ensure you get one that is supported
by your preferred distro.

My Toshiba A105 passed the test superbly and has been working well
(with sound card and the more advanced ACPI features coming and going
during the release cycles).

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode