[Cialug] CentOS 5 lockups

Mark Hesseltine markhesseltine at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 15:33:56 CDT 2007

On 10/22/07, Dave Crouse <crouse at usalug.net> wrote:
> Didn't have a fan go bad on the machine..... overheating it by chance ?
>
> Crouse
>

> On 10/22/07, Daniel Wittenberg <daniel-wittenberg at starken.com> wrote:
> >
> >  Are the keyboard lights flashing when it locks up?
> >
> >  Dan
> >

> >  On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 13:59 -0500, Jim Cole wrote:
> >
> >  I don't know how to debug this...can someone help?
> >
> >   I have a fresh install of CentOS5. It'll freeze about 5-10 minutes after
> > bootup. It'll stop responding to pings, console, etc. A hard boot gets it
> > back again. I've run YUM on it and applied all patches..same results.
> >
> >  This a 2.6 Ghz P4 with hypertheading and  1 GB of memory. It's been a solid
> > machine running Server 2003 so I don't think it's hardware related(bad
> > memory, etc). I disabled hyperthreading..same results.
> >
> >  Thanks!
> >  -Jim

I suppose you could boot it, get "top" running and keep an eye on it
to see if something takes over and starts running roughshod over your
IO, memory, processor when the box becomes unresponsive.

For example, at one time I had a spamassassin setup that was trying to
resolve DNS for each message and it would drive the load into double
digits and nearly lock the box up until it made it through the batch
of mail.
--
Mark Hesseltine
mailto:markhesseltine at gmail.com