[Cialug] Booted Gentoo LiveCD - can't write to /dev/hda

Rachel Garrett rmgarrett at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 10:03:58 CDT 2007

On 10/21/07, Tom Pohl <tom at tcpconsulting.com> wrote:
> Are you sure that /dev/hda is your hard drive?  I'll usually run
> dmesg and look for what was detected.  If your hard drive is scsi, it
> would probably be /dev/sda.

livecd # fdisk /dev/sda

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 4865.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
  (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Yep.

--Rachel