[Cialug] Buying a new PC

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Oct 10 08:49:49 CDT 2007

On 10/8/07, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/8/07, David Champion <dchampion at visionary.com> wrote:
> > I know some people really dig Gentoo, and that's fine for them, but can
> > you seriously in good conscience say that it's easy to use?
>
> No, but for the parameter in question, easy package management, I have
> yet to see anything as easy as Portage.
>
> And I'm serious.

Year ago, before anyone was using Gentoo, the main contributor to the
project was writing articles about the package manager on  IBM's
developerworks website. My impression of the project was that written
documentation and the package manager were foundational priorities in the
Gentoo community.

Making the distribution, Part 1
Birth of the Gentoo Linux distribution
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-dist1.html

I don't know if Gentoo has migrated to be more of an easy-to-install version
of Linux. When I tried it last it was still encouraged to build all the
packages from scratch.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode