[Cialug] gnome-terminal beep

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Thu Nov 29 12:34:16 CST 2007

On Thursday 29 November 2007 11:23, Josh More wrote:
>I've not tested it in Japanese, but I find that Konsole will do what
> you want.  It has tabs and all sorts of fun terminal alerting
> options. Obviously, using it would require loading lots of KDE libs
> into RAM, so you may not want to do it that way.
>
>Just thought I'd mention the option.

Thanks for the suggestion. After playing with Konsole for a few minutes,
it seems like it *might* work, but it has some issues that i'd have
difficulty learning to accept. Namely, the fonts are a bit squirrelly
on it. I use Terminus 12 on gnome-terminal and it looks good. If i use
the same font and size on Konsole, Latin characters are rendered more
crisply than in gnome-terminal, but Asian characters are fuzzy and
placed too low within the line... the placement is off by so much that
the bottom row of pixels for the characters is cut off. I noticed
a "line spacing" setting in the configuration which if set to 1 or
higher results in the full characters being visible, but they are still
noticeably lower than Latin characters and it looks odd. The fuzziness
of the Asian characters is a bit distracting as well; it is bad enough
to make me wonder if i need to get my glasses prescription updated
again.

I tried a few other fonts. For some fonts, full Asian characters were
visible without the line spacing adjustment, but i didn't find one
where both Latin and Asian characters were rendered crisply. One or the
other would be fuzzy. I think for now i'll have to stick with
gnome-terminal just because it does a decent job of font rendering. The
non-visual bell of gnome-terminal is an annoyance, but it is easier to
live with that than bad font rendering.

As for the KDE libraries, i've already taken the hit on those by using
Kmail as my mailer, so running any other KDE app doesn't cost much.
When i tried Konsole it opened up almost instantly, presumably because
the KDE libraries were already in RAM.