[Cialug] gnome-terminal beep

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Thu Nov 29 10:55:59 CST 2007

On Thursday 29 November 2007 10:21, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
>On Nov 29, 2007 9:25 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley at drake.edu>
wrote:
>> I recently switched to gnome-terminal as my primary terminal app. I
>> managed to get it configured to my liking, but there is one
>> annoyance. When some program wants to beep, the terminal beeps the
>> speaker. I'd much prefer it flash the terminal window like my old
>> terminal did. Is there a way to configure that? So far i've not
>> found it anywhere in gnome-terminal's settings.
>
>In gconf-editor you can edit the profile and there's an option called
>"silent-bell" which may be what you're after. I'm not sure how to edit
> this in the gnome-terminal UI, maybe by unchecking the "terminal
> bell" option? If that doesn't do it, go to gconf-editor -> Apps ->
> gnome-terminal -> profiles -> [your profile] and mark the silent-bell
> option.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, "silent bell" disables the bell
completely. I think what i want is called a "visual bell" on most
terminals. I'm not sure where to set that, if the feature even exists
in gnome-terminal. It is such a standard feature that it surprises me a
bit that it is so difficult to configure. Is there a system wide Gnome
setting to set a visual bell?

I did a bit of Googling and found reference to a Gnome-wide setting:
preferences-->sound-->System Bell. In that panel are checkboxes
for "audible bell" and "visual bell". I think i found the right
settings by running gnome-control-center (which i found by running
programs named /usr/bin/gnome* that looked settings-related), but they
don't seem to have any effect on gnome-terminal. Would changing a
setting like that require me to log out and back in?