[Cialug] gnome-terminal beep

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Nov 29 10:21:33 CST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 9:25 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley at drake.edu> wrote:

> I recently switched to gnome-terminal as my primary terminal app. I
> managed to get it configured to my liking, but there is one annoyance.
> When some program wants to beep, the terminal beeps the speaker. I'd
> much prefer it flash the terminal window like my old terminal did. Is
> there a way to configure that? So far i've not found it anywhere in
> gnome-terminal's settings.

In gconf-editor you can edit the profile and there's an option called
"silent-bell" which may be what you're after. I'm not sure how to edit this
in the gnome-terminal UI, maybe by unchecking the "terminal bell" option? If
that doesn't do it, go to gconf-editor -> Apps -> gnome-terminal -> profiles
-> [your profile] and mark the silent-bell option.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode