[Cialug] gphone software preview

Bryan Baker ka_klick at mac.com
Tue Nov 20 14:31:45 CST 2007

a snip from the Wikipedia article on KHTML:

"Apple has since released changes of the sourcecode of its KHTML fork
in a CVS repository. [4] Since the transfer of the sourcecode into a
public CVS repository, Apple and KHTML developers have had increasing
collaboration. Many of the top KHTML developers have become reviewers
and submitters for Apple's WebKit SVN repository. Because the WebKit
and KHTML source differ so greatly at this date, some key KHTML
developers are looking to backport the WebKit source to KDE through a
project codenamed 'Unity' [5].

As of June 2007, it has been revealed that Qt-WebKit probably will
replace KHTML in KDE 4.1. Qt-WebKit is to be included in the upcoming
Qt 4.4 release[6]."

So, currently Apple is playing about as nice as can be expected,
having a public SVN, and it looks like KDE 4.1 will replace KHTML w/
Qt-webkit.

The biggest problem in the first place was that Apple was working on
the library a full year before they could go public, and of course
they were trying to get something shipping, and not really worrying
about toes being stepped on, but as things have progressed it sounds
like they brought quite a bit to the party after all. (ACID 2
compliance iirc was one).