[Cialug] OT: Any good reason not to kill land phone line?

Claus Niesen cniesen at gmx.net
Fri Nov 16 10:24:23 CST 2007

> AFAIK all Cell providers had to have gps and 911 coverage a couple of
> years ago.
> If they can't finger out where it is by GPS they triangulate it off
> towers.

Yes, but just recently I heard the police chief in Ames mention that cell phone calls might get routed to the wrong 911 call center.  But that shouldn't be to much of a problem.  Also they can't tell exactly where the caller is from.  A land line gives you a definitive address, a cell phone just the approximate location.  While there have been great advancements with that technology, however its still not a 1:1 replacement in that regards.  You are sacrificing some.

> My T-mobile works just fine. Don't have problems.

BTW, there might be a difference between prepay and postpay. Just something to be aware of.

  Claus (still obeying the request of the thread - talk afan out
         of giving up his land line) ;)