[Cialug] Best Linux distro and language for software development

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Nov 14 22:56:41 CST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 7:37 PM, Tim Berneman <tim at netconx.net> wrote:

>  is any distro 'better' than others for development?  I've done a little
> research on languages etc but thought I wouldn't cloud the issue by naming
> them here and I want to start with a clean slate.

I don't think one is better than the other.

If you want a VB like form designer, the choices I've seen are:

 * QT Designer
 * Glade (for GTK)
 * Eclipse's VE plugin (last I checked, it doesn't yet work with 3.3, so you
need 3.2) - see screenshot at
http://www.ubuntu.com/files/GutsyImages/Eclipse-GUI-Builder.jpg

I personally like rapid development provided by dynamic languages such as
Python. Its getting to the point where you can write using PyGTK and things
work and look good on both Linux and Windows. You didn't say that you wanted
cross platform, so that may be a moot point. However, after you've used
Python gui apps for a little bit, when you switch to a C or C++ app, even
though the python programs didn't feel slow at all, the C ones feel faster.
Especially the intial load time. This could be entirely system dependent of
course.

Here's an interesting tool I happened across recently - it makes creating
simple GUI programs extremely quick and easy:
http://autoglade.wiki.sourceforge.net/autoglade+tutorial+-+first+steps

At its simplest, it's just a snazzy version of good ol' dialog, but you can
also use it from within your python scripts and get a little more fancy.

Disclaimer: I'm a web guy...
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode