[Cialug] Best Linux distro and language for software development

Chris Freeman cwfreeman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 20:20:15 CST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 7:37 PM, Tim Berneman <tim at netconx.net> wrote:

>  As a long time programmer (professionally since 1984) I'm looking to
> expand my horizons and learn to develop applications in Linux.  I've dabbled
> here and there in different distros and used Quanta for web development (and
> for the most part liked it).  For developing "window like" applications for
> KDE, Gnome, etc what would you suggest for the language, development
> environment (ide), libraries (for graphics, sound, etc), and is any distro
> 'better' than others for development?  I've done a little research on
> languages etc but thought I wouldn't cloud the issue by naming them here and
> I want to start with a clean slate.

That really depends on your current working environment. Being able to code
in a good editor like Vi(m) (or *shudder* EMACS) can be a wonderful
experience. And both have wonderful IDE features, but not things you may
have gotten used to recently in Visual Studio, Eclipse, etc.

But, unless you're really interested in learning something extremely new,
you're better off explaining what your current environment is like and we
can all describe what would be closest (after explaining why each of our
particular ways is better).

As for distros, none should be particularly better than any other. They all
have good access to the tools you need.

All of that said, you should look at Eclipse as it has plugins for just
about any language you want. Unless you want to do Qt (highly recommended
for C++ and has Java bindings), in which case you should look at Qt
Designer.

Chris