[Cialug] Resources for convincing enterprises to go with open source

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Wed Nov 14 10:53:15 CST 2007

I like to say that open source is not no dollar software, it simply shifts
the costs.

The financial burden for development is carried by many, instead of a single
company, and the costs of an outright purchase are often shifted to
consulting, maintenance, or the salary of someone with more
knowledge/specialization to maintain.

Of course once you hit on a combination that works it may not require any
updates or changes (or even reboots) for a very long time.

Sometimes they are really just looking for the one throat to choke when
problems come up.

-Nate

  _____