FW: [Cialug] cd hand off - maybe lunch sometime this week?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Nov 13 14:57:56 CST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 1:50 PM, <murraymckee at wellsfargo.com> wrote:

> Back when I was a comp sci major almost 30 years ago at ISU we had a
> problem to solve in one of the classes I was taking.  At what distance
> did a 1200 baud modem ( a high speed modem back when we used punch cards
> ) become faster than a single bicycle messenger with a 1600 bpi 9 track
> reel tape over his arm.
>
> We had to calculate the actual through put of the modem and how much
> data could fit on a tape.  Tape density, length of tape, inter record
> gaps, etc.

Interesting story, because I once installed slackware this way. I only owned
about 7 floppy disks so I had to ride my bike back and forth from my house
off-campus to the computer lab at Durham (ISU) in order to create the next
few disks.

Boy I wish I had that much spare time still.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode