[Cialug]using ICS with a laptop

Dan Hockey icepuck2k at mchsi.com
Thu Nov 1 18:28:44 CDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: cialug-bounces at cialug.org [mailto:cialug-bounces at cialug.org] On Behalf
Of David Champion
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 9:35 AM
To: Central Iowa Linux Users Group
Subject: Re: [Cialug]using ICS with a laptop

Dan Hockey wrote:
> I have been trying to share the wifi from my laptop to another computer
> through a crossover cable. I've tried to do this in both xp pro and
mandrive
> 2k7 on the same laptop, with basically the same results. Now for the funny
> part... If I use another card instead of the wifi I can get ICS to work as
> described in http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics but thats NOT the way
> want to use ICS. If I wanted a permanent setup I would have gotten one of
> those big cat5e spools at lowes and run a line out to my barn. Has anyone
> tried to use ISC in this way(wifi to wired) and gotten it to work?
> -dh

In Mandriva, run "drakxconf", and choose "Internet Connection Sharing"
from there. I've gotten that to work (wifi going to the internet, wired
to the internal (shared) lan). That's what we were running when Kevin &
I (and others) set up the workstations for the disc golf tourney.

-dc

I forgot about drakxconf, I was using the "configure your computer" way.
-dh