[Cialug] Usb devices and filesystem black magic

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Thu May 31 14:23:47 CDT 2007

I'm not even sure how to ask this question.  How can you use USB devices -
like hard drives and flash drives, and make sure they are mounted the same
way each time the machine restarts?  Also, if a USB device refuses to talk,
even though you see it in lsusb, is there a way to reset it?  I'm not doing
anything 'fancy', I just want USB drives in the same place next time the
machine starts.  I can achieve my goal now by plugging them in in a specific
order.

So, I guess I'm looking for filesystem and USB hints and tips, and the
correct vocabulary to Google for additional information.

TIA

-Nate