[Cialug] WPA configuration

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Thu May 24 18:54:28 CDT 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 15:04, Tony Bibbs wrote:
>>Does anyone here have wireless with WPA authentication working well?
>>If so, how did you get it working? I'm running Debian Testing on a
> MacBook. I have gotten Linux to identify the wireless device, now i
> just need to get the WPA stuff set up correctly.
>
>The latest knetworkmanager seems to work fine.

Thank you to both of you who responded. Both answers seemed to be
variations of "Network Manager". From screenshots i saw, it looks very
nice. I installed it along with both the Gnome and KDE interfaces to it
(knetworkmanager and nm-applet, respectively). Unfortunately, i can't
get either GUI interface to display. They both appear to want to
display an icon in the tray or notification area (or whatever it is
that Gnome and KDE are calling it these days). Since i use AfterStep i
don't have a tray.

So now my question is, is there a way to run applications that require
the Gnome or KDE "tray" without actually having a tray? Debian does
have a package called "docker" that claims to offer tray functionality
to generic window managers, but it doesn't actually work.

Alternatively, is there something besides Network Manager that either
has a more cooperative GUI or is command-line only that will manage WPA
wireless network connections?