[Cialug] OT: LCD Pixel power?

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Thu May 24 13:25:13 CDT 2007

Not an EE, but I'd guess that the power inverter for the backlight is
one of the biggest power drains. There are now some LED backlight
displays coming out that have better power usage, and more even lighting.

I'd guess that the color filter matrix for LCD screens doesn't really
care which filter is on or off, but the frequency of how often they
change is more likely to use more or less power.

If you're doing something like rendering 3D, other parts of the system
(assuming you're talking about a laptop) are going to be draining a lot
of power. For instance, one of my laptops would last 2.5 to 3 hours
doing "normal" stuff. Playing a 3D game, the battery would last about 15
minutes.

-dc