[Cialug] OT: LCD Pixel power?

Morris Dovey mrdovey at iedu.com
Thu May 24 13:19:03 CDT 2007

Nathan C. Smith wrote:
| I have a question regarding LCD displays.  Does it take more power
| to show pixels of a particular color - are dark pixels harder on
| power than light ones?  Or does the nature of the LCD require even
| power through screen at once?  Is the backlight itself a bigger
| power hog than the screen?  (If it is bring on the LED backlights!)
|
| The background of this question is if there is if there are any
| screen contents or color schemes that can reduce battery usage -
| I'm betting there aren't.

IIRC, all pixels share the same light source(s) - and it's likely that
changing pixels eats considerably more power than displaying them.

EL (electro-lumenescent) backlighting offers some promise for power
reduction, but I haven't kept up with developments in that area.

Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/