[Cialug] Meeting

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Wed May 16 10:02:43 CDT 2007

Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 09:33 -0500, David Champion wrote:
>> I did a system update on my Yellowdog system on the PS3 last night,
>> while reading up on things, found that they'd enabled the WiFi under
>> Linux now! No more stringing a Cat5 across my living room when I want to
>> run Linux on it. So, the last major thing that doesn't have support is
>> the nVidia 3D graphics.
>
> Recently, Fedora rawhide has been getting some PS3 love:
>
> http://www.advogato.org/person/dwmw2/diary.html?start=162
>
> Fedora rawhide also has the latest X.org and Nouveau drivers so getting
> 3D graphics on the PS3 is getting closer to reality.
>
> Jeff

>From what I understand, it's partially a driver issue, and partially an
issue of Sony enabling the hardware through the Hypervisor. The WiFi was
previously disabled in the Hypervisor under Linux, but was enabled after
the PS3 1.6 firmware update.

Since YDL is working directly with Sony, I'm guessing that they're
waiting until the official driver is done before enabling the 3D
hardware. That is... if Sony decides to enable it.

-dc