[Cialug] [OT] Flaky Broadband Connection

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Mon May 14 16:14:21 CDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 15:48 -0500, Tim Wilson wrote:
> When I had Mediacom, I had flaky behavior, with the connection being
> dropped for hours.  I never spent any time debugging it, I dropped
> them and never looked back.  However, I've had a few people tell me it
> could have been due to an old cable modem.  My modem was 5 years old,
> and technology had changed some.  I'd probably explore that path first
> before digging deeper.

> > The Cox broadband connections at my parents in law in Omaha is extremely
> > flaky.  It drops connections multiple times a day.  At first I thought
> > it was the wireless router since I used wireless but I finally
> > experienced it being connected via wire.  It's to the point that this is
> > very annoying to me. Obvious proof that my father in law rarely is using
> > his computer.

I had a similar problem, it turned out to be my router. It couldn't
handle more than a certain number of connections. So, for example,
running bt would kill it pretty quick.

If you can duplicate the problem easily, then take another router with
you sometime and try it out. I traded my ultra-cheap dlink for a buffalo
and the difference is profound.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode