[Cialug] [OT] Flaky Broadband Connection

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Mon May 14 15:48:37 CDT 2007

When I had Mediacom, I had flaky behavior, with the connection being
dropped for hours.  I never spent any time debugging it, I dropped
them and never looked back.  However, I've had a few people tell me it
could have been due to an old cable modem.  My modem was 5 years old,
and technology had changed some.  I'd probably explore that path first
before digging deeper.

On 5/14/07, Claus <cniesen at gmx.net> wrote:
> You guys seem to know a lot about cable and DSL internet access so I
> just have to ask this question.
>
> The Cox broadband connections at my parents in law in Omaha is extremely
> flaky.  It drops connections multiple times a day.  At first I thought
> it was the wireless router since I used wireless but I finally
> experienced it being connected via wire.  It's to the point that this is
> very annoying to me. Obvious proof that my father in law rarely is using
> his computer.
>
> I haven't done much trouble shooting and research on the cable modem
> since I was mistakenly looking for the problem at the wireless router.
> Without much more info do you think it's a:
> a) faulty cable modem
> b) incorrectly configured cable modem
> c) out-of-date cable modem (it's a couple of years old)
> d) bad service by cox (problem outside the home)
>
> I heard from my brother in law that he experienced such behavior from
> Comcast as and from some previous DSL.  Is it really that common?  I
> always had a rock solid Internet connection with my Qwest[1] DSL and FN
> connection at home as well as any wireless access points I've used.  So
> my tolerance for flakiness is pretty low.
>
>    Claus
>
> [1] With Qwest, if it works stay low and don't draw attention.
> Otherwise someone at Qwest messes up your service for the next few
> weeks.  At least that was my experience in the past.

Tim