[Cialug] Broadband options in Colo, IA

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Thu May 3 16:06:38 CDT 2007

On 5/3/07, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:

> <waves hand> this is not the answer you are looking for </waves hand>

This is not the answ. . . hey, wait a second!

> Different kinds of VPN, not so NAT friendly.  IPSEC needs something usually
> called NAT-assist or NAT pass-through to work.  SSL VPN like open VPN should
> work fine if he/they can access SSL secured web sites.  Are you sure they
> don't have their router (windows?) firewall tightened down to block too much
> traffic?

I've not been allowed to lay my hands on it.  I'm being told that
"everything has been checked," so take that for for what it's worth
(as have I).

Our Cisco 3000 concentrator is doing IPSEC, so I know there are some
issues with NAT there.  The problem is trying to convince the ISP to
change their settings instead of insisting we spend $50/month more.

thanks,
kristau
--
Tired programmer