[Cialug] Broadband options in Colo, IA

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Thu May 3 15:07:54 CDT 2007

<waves hand> this is not the answer you are looking for </waves hand>

> This is for a co-worker who can't get our VPN client to work over
> their NetINS account.  They are being told that they need to spend $50
> more per month for a static IP because the NetINS router is using NAT.
>  I thought NAT could handle VPN traffic these days?  Must be an
> old-ass router. . .

Different kinds of VPN, not so NAT friendly.  IPSEC needs something usually
called NAT-assist or NAT pass-through to work.  SSL VPN like open VPN should
work fine if he/they can access SSL secured web sites.  Are you sure they
don't have their router (windows?) firewall tightened down to block too much
traffic?

-Nate