[Cialug] Ubuntu's New Init

Thomas Kula kula at tproa.net
Sat Mar 31 17:47:16 CDT 2007

On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 05:44:30PM -0500, Todd Walton wrote:

> Yeah, but this is like having one piece of software that copies files
> to ext3 filesystems, and a different one that copies to reiser
> filesystems.  The Unix Way is to have a tool that does one thing and
> does it well.  Consolidating at and cron and initd and inetd into one
> more capable init system is actually bringing these things *closer* to
> The Unix Way.

I'd have a lot more confidence in launchd if it would actually
run my "cron" jobs when I tell it to run them, not at when I tell
them to run them + how much time the machine slept for when it
last slept.

That one caused me all kinds of grief when I had to handle lab
nonsense. I hope they have that one fixed....

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula at tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/
Mathom House at Ypsi-Edge, The People's Republic of Ames